Proceedings: Open Cybersecurity Summit 2012
Last fall the Bryant Group led the production of the first annual Open Cybersecurity Summit.
The event was underwritten by the Department of Homeland Security Science and Technology Division (DHS S&T), Cybersecurity Division and delivered by Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI), the Homeland Open Security Technology program (HOST). The HOST program was created to explore, invest in and share potential solutions developed and distributed as open source software tools and applications.
The proceedings have been available to attendees for some time, but are public and available to any interested parties. It was a first of a kind event so far as we know, with an emphasis on the use of Open Source Software tools and applications as well as related best practices in the Cybersecurity space. You can download the full DC Summit Proceedings 2012, or visit the archived conference site.
We expect the next summit to be announced later this spring.
8:00 a.m. | Registration
9:00 a.m. | Summit Welcome
Keynote: “Crowds, Clouds, and Spies”
Speaker: Stewart A. Baker, former DHS Assistant Secretary for Policy, author and partner at
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
10:00 to 10:30 a.m. | General Session
“OWASP – The World’s Largest Open Source Web Application Security Project”
Speaker: Dave Wichers, Open Web Application Security (OWASP) board member and
COO and Co-founder, Aspect Security Inc.
10:30 – 10:45 a.m. | Break & Poster Sessions
10:45 a.m. – noon | Panel “Open Source and Cybersecurity: Building Trust and
• Panelists: Matthew Scholl, Deputy Division Chief, Computer Security Division and
Associate Director of Operations for the NIST National Cybersecurity Center of
• Luke Berndt, Program Manager, Department of Homeland Security, Science and
Technology (S&T) Division
• Moderator: Mark Bohannon, Vice President, Corporate Affairs & Global Public
Policy, Red Hat.
Noon to 1:00 p.m. | Lunch Break & Poster Sessions
1:00 2:30 p.m. Panel: “Government as the Consumer and Creator of Open
• Panelists: Dr. David A. Wheeler, Analyst, Institute for Defense Analyses
• Joshua Davis, Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) Associate Branch Head, Cyber
Security Lab and Principal Investigator for the Homeland Open Security Technology
• Joe Broghamer, Lead, Authentication Technologies, U.S. Department of Homeland
Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Ofﬁce of the Chief
Information Ofﬁcer, IAD
2:30 – 2:45 p.m. |Break & Poster Sessions
2:45 – 3:50 p.m. | Lightning Talks
• Adding Real-time File Analytics to the Open Source Suricata Platform; Harold
Jones, BAE Systems
• Fostering an Innovative Smart Card Environment; Peter Fucci, Safer Institute
• Identity Management: Linux and Active Directory integration; Dmitri Pal, Red Hat
• Open Source Software Veriﬁcation and Validation; Philip Marshall, Black Duck
• XenClient XT: The Extensible Platform for Secure Virtualization; Philip Tricca, Citrix
• Drupal Security Controls for Government Sites; Greg Wilson, Phase 2 Technology
3:50 – 4:00 pm | Closing Comments
Speaker: Dr. Douglas Maughan, Director, DHS S&T, Cyber Security Division
4:00 – 5:00 p.m. | Networking & Poster Sessions